Computer freezes with external hard drive

kestrel3 19:04 04 May 04

I've recently purchased an external hard drive to back up files between my PC & my laptop.

Although the external hard drive (Freecom) is OK with my laptop, everytime I plug the USB cable in my PC, my PC freezes up?

The only way of re starting it is to unplug the external hard drive & press re set button.

The PC & laptop are both the same make (Hi Grade)& both fairly new (PC 6 months, laptop 1 month)

Any suggestions as to what the problem/cure is anyone?

Diodorus Siculus 19:10 04 May 04

Will the pc start with the hard disk attached? Is the hdd using USB2 while the machine only has USB1.1?

kestrel3 19:46 04 May 04

Yes the PC starts with the external drive attached, but when windows has finished loading, it freezes up again.

The drive is USB 2, while the PC is USB1.1, however the bumpf with the drive states that USB 2 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1?

JMG 20:47 04 May 04

I know this is a bit vague, but most system lock ups are caused by driver problems. Has your portable HDD got ot's own driver on disk, has it been updated, does it show up as working correctly in the hardware list?

Diodorus Siculus 23:28 04 May 04

Could well be a power problem - what is your PSU rating in terms of watts?

kestrel3 23:43 04 May 04

The HDD came with it's own software, which I loaded on to my PC & I assume this includes drivers?

As for PSU rating, how do I ascertain this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…