Computer freezes during startup - suspect hardware fault

Tim 22:17 PM 10 Dec 12

I have a problem with my WIndows 7 PC.

It freezes during startup after the Windows logo but before it gets to the logon screen. I have tried running the Windows repair process using the original Windows 7 disk and also from pressing F8 during startup. In both the cases the programs freeze before they had fully loaded. I wondered if I had a hard disk fault so I tried running my Acronis Recovery disk. This program too freezes before it has fully loaded (The disk has been checked on another PC and it works OK.

I therefore suspect a hardware fault - possibly with the motherboard, processor or memory. Are there any checks or programs I could try and run that might help me locate the problem?

I don't know if it connected, but I have had a funny when starting the computer for the last few weeks. When I powered on the computer I got a disk activity light and a fan noise for about a second. The computer then went totally dead for about 5-7 seconds and then it would start booting up as normal.

I have Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R motherboard with 8GB of memory.

Any ideas of what to try.

Thanks, Timothy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 PM 10 Dec 12

Will it start in safemode from the F8 prompt?

Freezing at the point you describe is usually a driver problem.

Tim 23:06 PM 10 Dec 12

No - It freezes during safe mode startup as well.

I doubt that it is the drivers, because I have also tried booting from my original Windows 7 DVD in an attempt to run its repair program and it freezes as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 PM 10 Dec 12

With your other problems during start it could be PSU starting to fail.

Zak 16:11 PM 11 Dec 12

Possibly a failing graphics card? I had these symptoms when mine failed.

Tim 19:33 PM 11 Dec 12

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I wil do some more checks and see what happens.

Thanks, Timothy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November