Computer freezes after start up

Michael_R 15:36 12 Jan 05

Hi. I have a problem that started a few weeks ago but I can't do a system restore as windows deleted them all.
When I start my 2 month old computer from cold in the morning it boots up fine and gets to my desktop. It will then freeze the mouse and key board. I have to do a soft power reboot and then everything is fine.
I have XP home SP2
AMD 3000+
Chaintech motherboards and graphics card (Geforce FX5200)
1 GByte memory (333)
AVG anti virus latest free version
Zone alarm latest free version.
Home network to the internet via a Netgear router/hub.

I have disabled ZA at start up, uninstalled and reinstalled MSN messenger, reverted to previous graphics drivers and reinstalled latest and searched the helprooms here and the internet. To date I can't find any cure, and as it happens only from initial startup it is hard to isolate anything.

Any one able to help?

thanks
Mike

Jdoki 15:49 12 Jan 05

Are the keyboard and mouse USB or PS/2 connections?

Is the freeze always at the same point?

Michael_R 15:55 12 Jan 05

Thanks,
I have tried PS/2 keyboard and mouse. USB mouse and I am presently using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse connected via PS/2 ports.
Mike

Technotiger 16:13 12 Jan 05

Hi, symptoms such as you describe are sometimes an indication of a loose connection or connections. I would suggest a thorough check of all connections inside and outside of your pc, although only a couple of months old I would not want you to invalidate your warranty!
Remove and replace mem sticks, and any pci cards making sure of a very good fit on replacing - graphics cards are particularly vulnerable to having a poor fit.

I note you have tried various mouse/keyboard combinations, otherwise I would also have suggested, especially with cordless, to check batteries and/or to try different mouse.

If I think of anything else I will come back -
good luck anyway. Cheers.

Michael_R 16:21 12 Jan 05

Thanks,Technotiger I'll try that when I switch off tonight and try again in the morning. I'll post back here, the results.

Mike

Technotiger 16:29 12 Jan 05

Ok - will check here again tomorrow.

Technotiger 16:30 12 Jan 05

btw - don't forget ide cables in your check.

Michael_R 10:43 13 Jan 05

I did as you suggested and ensured everything was seated properly. The RAM and graphics card I removed and reinserted to make sure. I then took the opportunity to re route and tidy up the cables from the power supply to improve the air path. I then reconneced everything except the network cable and switched on. "Et Voila" it worked,I did leave it for 10 minutes to make sure and it was still OK and then I reconnected the network cable. That was fine to the internet but did not rediscover my network. I then forced it to discover my network and all is fine. So it may have been necessary to reseat the connections or it may be my network hangs on start up. I now have something to look for tomorrow. Many thanks for your help and suggestions and also to Jdoki.
Mike

Technotiger 12:37 13 Jan 05

Great - hope it remains ok from now on.

Cheers.

Technotiger 12:39 13 Jan 05

ps - if it does remain ok, I would suggest making a new Restore Point!! You never know.

Michael_R 11:32 15 Jan 05

Just in case anyone else has the same problem. I can now say that it was the connection to my ADSL modem that was the problem. I re-ran the XP wizard for setting up a network connection and this time chose the options more carefully , most of which were under "other". I am running two computers through a Netgear DG834G router modem,
Thanks Technotiger for your help and I have indeed made a new restore point.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…