Computer freezes after new Graphics card install!

wyatt earp 18:20 08 Nov 03

Hi folks - looking for some help.
I have a Fujitsu Siemens M7VKA mobo with 1 ghz Athlon, 512 ram, Win XP home edition, 2 hard drives,2 optical drives,soundblaster pci,lan pci and usb cable modem. (card prior to new install Nvidea tnt 64)

I installed a new Radeon 9000 atlantis pro agp card to my pc today using the latest drivers from Ati.
I am using my monitor on the DVI setting with a digital cable.

I only run 2 games which now lock up the computer once they get started also if just using IE the pc will sometimes freeze up.
As per the Ati site i upgraded the via chipset with the latest 4 in 1 drivers from Via.

The vibe i have got is that it could be my power supply which is 250W and the new Radeon is pushing it over the edge?

I have no errors etc. in device manager and the software all loaded with no probs.

So should i rush out for a 350w (min.) power supply or do you guys have any other ideas?

p.s. I have put back all settings and card with Drive Image - Thank the lord for Drive Image!

Wyatt

graham√ 19:14 08 Nov 03

I am strangely drawn to your USB modem. Check in Device Manager for the power (current) being drawn by that port.

wyatt earp 19:17 08 Nov 03

I am back on my original configuration etc. and i am not getting any probs.
I feel it's unlikely to be the modem - but thanks anyway.

Wyatt

carver 20:03 08 Nov 03

The problem is down to the power supply, you would be better with a 400 watt supply, the price difference between a 350 and 400 watt isn't a lot but it will mean you will have a more stable supply.

mikeyb59 20:03 08 Nov 03

^

dfghjkl 20:18 08 Nov 03

power supply is a good start,i guess you have removed the nvidia drivers

wyatt earp 20:41 08 Nov 03

Yes, i removed the Nvidia drivers before taking the Nvidea card out.

I'll go with the theory of the power supply but will leave this thread open for another day in case anyone has further thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far.

Wyatt

gold 47 20:54 08 Nov 03

Do a search for Nvidea drivers if you think you have deleted them by just using add and remove this is not always the case,did you put the drivers in first before adding the card??

My older computer had a TNT64 but the Radeon card i bought from QVC never worked at least i could send it back so i didn't loose any money.

mikeyb59 03:01 09 Nov 03

^

wyatt earp 08:03 09 Nov 03

I put the new drivers in after i fitted the card.
The instructions did not cover this very well.
What is the correct method of installing the drivers for a new card?
Should i load the drivers before i install the new card?

Gongoozler 08:46 09 Nov 03

wyatt earp, generally you will need to set the display to Standard VGA, shutdown the computer, fit the new card, boot the computer and then install the new drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…