Computer Freezes

2393 17:56 21 Dec 05

Each time I switch my computer on, within 5 minutes, it freezes. I press restart and it can run for up to 2 hours before it freezes again. There are times when it freezes as it starts up. There is no warning and can be most offputting especially when I'm trying to send e-mails. It has been suggested that I need another motherboard. Is this a possibility or could it be more serious?

Skyver 18:01 21 Dec 05

What OS are you running, what antivirus do you have, what anti-spyware software do you use (if any), how old is your PC....with more information, we can provide more ideas...

2393 18:26 21 Dec 05

To Skyver.
I am using XP home edition, Mcfee antivirus, and aol anti-spyware.
The computer was built for me 3 years ago. I can't go back to the company who built it, they've gone out of business.

Skyver 19:13 21 Dec 05

OK, first thing is a disk check, start menu/run, type `chkdsk`, let it run, then try system file check , start menu/run `sfc /scannow`.

citadel 19:38 21 Dec 05

If there are no error messages it could be the psu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…