computer freeze up problem

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 15:21 28 Jan 05

yesterday i tried to fit a new dvd-rw to my desktop, however after fitting & rebooting, it would get to the windows screen then freeze, so i removed it, the problem is now the computer keeps freezing intermittently without warning, sometimes it will freeze 2-3 mins after restarting other times it may take an hour or so?

it happened again about 15 mins ago, this time i happened to have the side of the case still open, and pushed one off the power conncters between the A/ and C/ drive and it unfroze????

also the red HD light on front of puter will stay on when it freezes

any ideas whats going on??
cos im baffled

thanx in advance

CD

JonnyTub 15:23 28 Jan 05

you've probably answered your own question, check you haven't inadvertantly dislodged any cables.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 15:30 28 Jan 05

but how would it make it freeze/unfreeze by having a loose cable between A/ and C/ drives ?

JonnyTub 15:32 28 Jan 05

loose cables can cause all kind of problems, by pushing them home you eliminate this to be the cause, then you can move onto other things that may be the cause, such as a bad driver, memory etc

Totally-braindead 15:45 28 Jan 05

I think JonnyTub has hit the nail on the head there, its all too easy to inadvertantly dislodge a connector when working inside a PC, and this will usually cause it to crash, lock up or fail to even start. Its not a good idea to push at connectors when your PC is on by the way, far better to switch off and check all the cables when there is no power.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 16:08 28 Jan 05

ok thanks, all seems ok so far anyway, its been running for about an hour,

something else i forgot to mention is that my internet connection since yesterday also now times out every 20-30 mins im with tiscali dialup
the disconnect after period is disabled & as far as i know there is no way to stop it disconnecting in tools

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 19:29 28 Jan 05

^^^

something else i forgot to mention is that my internet connection since yesterday also now times out every 20-30 mins im with tiscali dialup the disconnect after period is disabled & as far as i know there is no way to stop it disconnecting in tools

Any Ideas??????

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 15:53 29 Jan 05

internet problem seems to have just gone away,
but im still getting lock up every so often, checked & pushed all connections/cables home etc

it seems to happen when theres a lot going on ie 3-4 web pages open, word, win tv etc

FelixTCat 16:06 29 Jan 05

It is possible that your psu is not man enough to run everything you had before, plus your new DVD-RW drive. Try unplugging the new drive and trying the system for a while. If it runs OK, this is the problem.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 16:09 29 Jan 05

it has already been removed as it was not compatible with my comp??

thanx anyway

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 16:31 29 Jan 05

by the way,i was replacing my cdrw with the dvdrw
surely there would not be any great power drain difference between the two?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…