Computer faulty after rainstorm.

bondzie 09:58 29 Jan 03

My computer has suffered from the effects of a rainstorm. Now I cannot see anything on the monitor. There were flashes and noise at the socket and noises too. After the storm, I put the PC on. The Hdd light came on, and the cdrom light too. The power supply came on; I could hear noise of activity in the CPU, but the monitor only showed squares, some white and some black. In spite of the noise inside the CPU, there were no bios beeps. I suspected the Power supply, opened up the case and tested for the usual voltages. They seem to be okay ie + - 5v, 11.8 etc. Could it be that the bios chip is gone or what? Please help me here. I have even changed the monitor, but same story.

powerless 10:01 29 Jan 03

Graphics Card?

Djohn 10:12 29 Jan 03

Although the surge may have come through the mains supply, it may also have come through the phone line, remove modem card and try again,as well as the graphiccs card as suggested by Powerless.

Andsome 10:18 29 Jan 03

Do you use an anti surge adaptor on the power supply??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…