Samsung Galaxy S8 review
I cannot start my computer and don't know what to try next!
If I switch it on it stalls in the Windows XP flash screen.
When attempting to start in Safe Mode I get a couple of blue screen error messages. These include "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated."
If I attempt to revert to the last good configuration that also fails.
I have tried to start by booting it from the CD-Rom drive (BIOS confirms it is the primary boot device rather than Floppy Disk). I have tried both the original OEM sytem restore disc and a XP home SP2 boot disc download via the internet but neither works. (I can feel the hard drive turning during start up.)
It was working fine yesterday - the last operation was un-installing anti-spyware (Stop-Zilla). Before that I installed AVG ant-spyware because of spyware pop-ups.
Any suggestions to at least get into safe mode would be appreciated.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.