Computer efficiency

Speedy Gonzalez 07:51 27 Mar 03

I have a Toshiba laptop which has served well for about 2 - 3 years. It has been a bit sluggish lately. Somtimes I'm ahead of it! I have done all I can think of to speed things up - Deleted all temporary internet files, cookies, cleared history. I also do start > prog > accessories > maintenance wizard (although after a whole night it had 0% complete ?). Am I doing the right things? Can anyone please advise anything else that I might try, in simple language please.

Lú-tzé 08:22 27 Mar 03

Try to defragment the hdd and run scandisk - both from the system tools.

Lú-tzé 08:24 27 Mar 03

Also, ensure that as little as possible are running in the background - go to start_run_and type in msconfig - click here for more info.

LAMINA 08:31 27 Mar 03

what os are you using?..in win98 goto start/run and type in msconfig click on the startup tab and this will show you what progs are running when your pc starts.
you need to have as little running as possible when using defrag or any similar prog.
you could also press cntrl, alt,& del and close all running progs except explorer and systray and then try using defrag..hope this helps.

Speedy Gonzalez 13:47 27 Mar 03

Thanks Lu-tze and Lamina, os is 98. I shall try defrag & scandisk this afternoon or tonight. I can see how to uncheck the programs on startup. Can I restore them after defrag? For defrag, is it "Drive c physical drive" option I want? For Scandisk is it also c and "thorough" rather than "standard" and with "automatically fix errors" ticked?
There may be something else going on.
If anyone is familiar with this model of laptop (Toshiba Portege 3110 CT) the disk symbol lights green when the computer is accessing a disk drive. It is now doing it very frequently and there is a noise not dissimilar to an aircraft ready to taxi and take off, almost every time I access a page, with a huge delay before I can get on with things. I should say that I use the PC on the mains and all the other 3 lights (DC in, power and battery status) are all green.
Any ideas about this too please?

Switcher 14:08 27 Mar 03

Start in safe mode then defrag.

However it sounds like your HDD may be ready to die.

You should back up any important data ASAP.

woodchip 14:24 27 Mar 03

You best bet as things are, save all that you need to, Drivers E-Mail Docs etc. And clear the drive with format. Then reinstall and if you have the option just put back the basic software you need

woodchip 14:26 27 Mar 03

PS on your last post the drive may be on it's last legs but it may just need what I said above

Speedy Gonzalez 08:29 28 Mar 03

The defragmenting is complete. I restored all the other programs which come up on startup. I still have this whooshing sound. It also froze when an "about blank" window came up. When I "ended task" it stripped out all the icons on the bottom bar except for Full power AC, volume, gator.com and msn messenger. I intend to have a good spring clean deleting as much dead wood as I can find. Does anyone have any advice or cautions about what NOT to delete as I understand you can come to grief. Thanks for your help so far.

Lú-tzé 08:38 28 Mar 03

Most Toshibas come with a restore disk - it might be time to make use of this. It will mean that you have to back up all your data and ensure that you have your software reg numbers but will make a difference to the machine when you reload windos.

By the way, do you need gator and msm messanger running - and anything else there. Most of these progs can be started from the desktop when you need them which is preferable to having them running in the background all the time. Really all that is needed in general day to day use is your anti virus and firewall. Others will start when required.

muppetmark 13:20 28 Mar 03

gator spyware could well be the cause of your problems. try spybot s & d to remove it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…