Computer Drives C, D, & E. ????

J. I. 15:33 01 Jan 05

My new computer has 3 Drives. Boot C. Backup D. Recovery E. Drive C is obviously main disc for everything on computer. I cant find any info on purpose of Discs D&E. What data are they recieving and what is the reverence to that data as far as I am concerned. Can I access data from them, and can I have any input into them. What involvedment if any do I have with these discs. Grateful for any help.

Technotiger 15:38 01 Jan 05

Hi, normally drives are as follow - A&B floppy drives, C System drive (Main), D,E, etc usually CD Rom Drives, can also be CardReader Drives and others depending on your OS and use of the drives.

Technotiger 15:39 01 Jan 05

ps - or it could mean that your Main Drive 'C' has been Partioned, if so the extra Partitions would show as Drives with their own letters D and E.

Gongoozler 15:45 01 Jan 05

Hi J. I. I can only make a guess at the functions of the drives, but if you go into "My Computer", right click on the drives and select "Properties" then tell us the figures for the capacities (the short figures will be ok), then I could make a more informed guess.

The C:, D: and E: drives are probably partitions on one physical drive. C: will hold Windows and any installed programs. D: is probably intended for you to keep a copy of any important files you generate so that you can restore them if the copy on C: gets corrupted. If D: is large enough, you could also use it to backup all your C: drive using a backup utility. The E: drive will hold a recovery file to enable you to restore the C: drive to the factory settings if Windows gets corrupted. You should have all this information in the documentation supplied with your computer.

Stuartli 15:45 01 Jan 05

But the general rule of thumb is that D is a CD/DVD-ROM drive and E a rewriter if you have one.

In my case, XP Pro insists that the rewriter is D and the DVD-ROM drive E not matter what attempts I make to switch them...:-)

The second partition on my HDD is R (Restore) but you can name it as you wish. Best to keep space between A, C, D, E etc in case you have a 4, 5, 6 or 7 etc in 1 card reader and use letters further down the list.

Technotiger 15:45 01 Jan 05

Further info - sorry this is all in 'bits' -

If Partions, you can access by going to My Computer, this will then show you just what Drives you have and also if there is anything on them. Also means you can treat them like any other drive.
If CD Drives, then I think that should be self explanatory. Don't hesitate to ask again if you are still not sure.

jack 15:46 01 Jan 05

different builders do strange things
Techno tiger is right s the main
but your machine may be set up with RAID cofiguration.
This effectively gove a main drive 'C' and another hardrive wich mirrors all that 'C' is doing it may be then called 'D' and other drives optrical/card readers will follow in alfa order.
Asl if the Msin drive is partitioned this will also follow on from 'C' and all else move along one or more places according to the partitioning.
However your New 'puter should detail all this in the hadbook.

bremner 15:46 01 Jan 05

Many manufacturers cofigure their machines as yours has been.

You probably have just one hard drive and it has been partitioned into three and given the names shown.

The E (recovery) contains the files necessary for you to reinstall the machine back to its state on purchase. You will have Recovert CD from which to boot the machine which reads these files. It is therefore important not to delete the recovery files on E.

Other than that the drives are there for your use. You can save files in stall applications etc on each and all.

SEASHANTY 15:59 01 Jan 05

Very well put bremner. This is the way that Medion
send out all their PC's with the one hard drive partitioned into C, D and E, with the exact descriptions given at the start of this posting. The D partition contains all the system drivers and it specifically tells you not to delete partition E or the recovery disc will not work.

wee eddie 16:12 01 Jan 05

A - was the Floppy
D - the DVD Writer
E - the Local Disk

My Zip drive kept installing itself as the C Drive, but I could not Format it.

I re-allocated the Zip to the F slot and all works well

However I am stuck with the Local Disk being on E rather than C as, try as I have, it will not reallocate the drive. Probably 'cos it can't move itself. It would be tidier if I could move it to C and probably save future problems.

J. I. 16:28 01 Jan 05

Opologies for not mentioning the Comp is a Medion. I now know the one drive is partitioned into three. At the moment drive D has 2GB-used and 96-free. How do I back up data to drive D? Is this the same as saving files in the stall application as mentioned by Bremner. Mistery to me!! Also how do I make sure I dont Delete partition E. Trying to get my Computer skills upto par without making to many blunders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…