Computer doesn't "see " my floppy disk drive

ianeon 11:28 15 Jan 07

Good morning - My latest computer fault is: My computer doesn't "see" my floppy disk drive. DEVICE MANAGER shows a yellow circle with a line in it next to FLOPPY DISK DRIVE. Left clicking on "my computer" shows all my drives except my floppy disk drive - I have uninstalled/installed the drivers and the controller to no avail - Any help would be appreciated - Thank you for your time - Ian

chub_tor 11:47 15 Jan 07

1. Have you recently physically disconnected the wiring from your floppy drive? If so you may have re-connected it the wrong way round - it can be done on most floppy drives. Usually this also leads to the floppy LED being constantly on.

2. Is it present in the BIOS? You can usually get into the BIOS by hitting the delete key after boot up, or look for screen messages to tell you how to get into it. Then check that the floppy drive is enabled.

3. Changing the floppy driver isn't necessary, Windows will detect it on boot up if it is enabled in the BIOS and correctly installed.

4. If the BIOS says it's enabled and you are sure that the connection is correct then your drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Stuartli 13:28 15 Jan 07

Loose, damaged or incorrectly inserted cables are normally the cause of floppy drive problems.

ianeon 15:52 15 Jan 07

Thank you for your replies - I just switched my computer on, went to update a floppy, and it wasn't there - I haven't touched any cables,etc.
CHUB_TOR - The BIOS is unknown area for me, as I wouldn't know what to do I would rather leave that alone - unless I had an "idiots guide" on what to do/look for - lol

chub_tor 19:29 15 Jan 07

The BIOS needn't be a mystery to you and it is simple to understand click here
If you are unsure about any changes that you have made you always have the option to Exit without saving changes.

If you have not touched the cables, or moved the machine so that they could have come off then either the floppy is not recognised by the BIOS or it is faulty. If the latter you will have to take the PC apart anyway so you should a) check the BIOS first and b) check the cables.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 15 Jan 07

DEVICE MANAGER shows a yellow circle with a line in it next to FLOPPY DISK DRIVE

Before you take any covers off or go hunting in the BIOS.

Click the drive in device manager and select properties it will give you an eror code tell us exactly what code number and any thing else on the message.

ianeon 20:30 15 Jan 07

Fruit Bat - thank you for your interest - This is the error code and message - "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

woodchip 20:43 15 Jan 07

You need a new Floppy drive Ribbon cable, it's faulty

skidzy 20:48 15 Jan 07

Error code 41:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 15 Jan 07

Agree code 41

flopy drive cable loose or damaged, check and or replace

or
FDC (floppy disk controller) is disabled in the BIOS.
enter BIOS and enable.

ianeon 22:27 15 Jan 07

SKIDZY - Thank you - The instructions in that link solved the problem.
To everyone else who contributed - thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009