computer does not switch on

algo mas 15:05 01 Jul 03

After a couple of weeks rest I tried using my computer.
All the other bits work printer, speakers and monitor but the MAIN UNIT does not come on.
I have checked the connection/changed fuses/tried another power cable.There is no on/off switch at the back [as in some recent units].
It will not switch on.
Is there a fuse inside the unit?
What else can I do please ?

woodchip 15:10 01 Jul 03

Is there no light's on the front when you push the button in

Lú-tzé 15:12 01 Jul 03

Have you tried a different socket in the wall if you are plugged directly into the wall?

Have a look inside the machine - see are there any LEDs lighted on the mobo; if so, that means power is getting through.

If not, then it could be a problem with the power supply unit inside the machine. It may need to be changed.

keith-236785 15:16 01 Jul 03

there are no fuses inside a computer, only the one in the plug.

take the power lead from your monitor and try it on the computer, if you hear the fans spin and you get lights then its obviously a faulty lead.
(obviously you wont get a picture on the screen)

if it is faulty, buy a new one (not from pc world), go to a local computer shop, it should cost about £2

pcworld would charge you a fiver for the same thing, (i dont know why PCWorld are so expensive for cables).

if you still get nothing, make sure the Reste switch isnt stuck, just press it a couple of times.

good luck

keith-236785 15:18 01 Jul 03

oops i just read your post again.....DOH

you have already tried a new cable, try the reset button, if nothing then maybe Lú-tzé is right and you may need a new power supply.

DieSse 15:22 01 Jul 03

or motherboard or RAM or processor.

Vital to have a look inside re fans/lights first.

woodchip 18:04 01 Jul 03

Sometimes there is a fuse in the PSU, but keep away from the Big capacitor connections even when switched of you can get a nasty jolt.

It could be the PSU as by e-mail he say's he as no lights on the front

lixdexik 18:25 01 Jul 03

sometimes will not switch on. The power is getting to the monitor but not to the Mobo. I have found that it is the power connection to the mobo that works loose now and again, so I have to take off the cover and wiggle the connecting strip on the mobo, perhaps that could be your problem too?..

Cheers Lixdexik

LAP 18:58 01 Jul 03

My wife uses my old computer and the push button
is faulty, warranties etc expired. To get over this she pushes the button in slightly to one side this works 9 out of 10 times. I know it's not a cure, but worth considering. Every little helps..Lap..

keith-236785 21:43 02 Jul 03

as long as it isnt a Dell or Packard Bell, you should be ok just replacing your power supply.

woodchip 21:58 02 Jul 03

Hope he as not blown himself across the room by looking in side

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…