Computer does not recognise external drive

Matterhorn 15:07 31 Jul 04

Hello! I have windows XP Pro on my computer with a Western Digital USB external hard drive. My computer has ceased to recognise this external drive. It does not show on My Computer or in the Device Manager. Your help woud be greatly appreciated

powerless 15:15 31 Jul 04

Click Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK.

You see it from in here?

Matterhorn 16:38 31 Jul 04

Thanks for replying. The external drive does not show in 'diskmgmt.msc'.
What next?<g>

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:24 31 Jul 04

Turn the computer on without the drive in place. Attach drive, reboot. You may need to do this 3 times.

G

woodchip 18:31 31 Jul 04

Go into BIOS and see if AUTO DETECT DRIVES picks it up

woodchip 18:32 31 Jul 04

Go into BIOS and see if AUTO DETECT DRIVES picks it up. If not it may need a new cable

woodchip 18:34 31 Jul 04

Do's the drive need drivers loading as they may have got corrupt, so it may be a good idea to reload them

jonnytub 18:39 31 Jul 04

click here may be of some help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 31 Jul 04

check USB drivers in device manager.

do other USB devices work in Same USB port?

power supply for drive ok (power light on)?

Matterhorn 10:48 01 Aug 04

Thanks for your reponse. No luck on this one. The external drive does show some response on the reboot suggesting that the cable is OK.

Matterhorn 10:51 01 Aug 04

Many thanks for your response. My bios is set to autodetect on all drives. Still no sign of the external drive. There was no included drivers with the external drive. It used the XP pro ones with no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…