Computer does not boot up

zarjazz 23:57 23 Dec 09

My Mesh Matrix 64 3200+ (purchased in 2004) will not boot up.
It goes through the power-up self-test (POST) screens OK, then briefly displays the Windows XP splash screen, before going to the error screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this" screen and asks if I want to boot up windows normally etc. But when I click on this, the computer restarts and it goes back round in a loop to this screen.

It will not boot up in safe mode nor the the last known best configuration.

I haven't added any new hardware or software, but the machine had been idle for about three weeks.

When I press F10 for recovery, it goes to a blue screen of death with stop error codes saying "kernel inpage data error".
Any initial ideas?

KremmenUK 07:14 24 Dec 09

Do you have an original XP CD to perform a recovery startup?

I'm guessing that the PC arrived preinstalled and you may have to revert back to original factory settings and start again.

Halmer 08:03 24 Dec 09

the hard drive had failed.

Hope that yours is less than that.

Quiller. 08:36 24 Dec 09

and download the utility to test the drive. Is POST enabled in the bios.

Though

It sounds more like a windows file fault. If you have an XP disk follow KremmenUK advice.

sunnystaines 08:41 24 Dec 09

check memory with memtest86.

recovery console another option

or hdd on way out.

zarjazz 09:47 24 Dec 09

Thanks for this guys/gals.

First, I do not have a Windows disc as the OP was preloaded by the manufacturer.

The only way I can get it back to factory settings is by pressing F10, but when I do this, it goes to the BSOD and I'm back to square one (Mesh did not supply a recovery disc).

I half suspected it may be the hard drive as it is not deteced in the BIOS settings.

How do you do a memtest86?

birdface 09:48 24 Dec 09

5 year old maybe needing a good clean out.make sure the air vents are clear of dust and fluff,if so inside will also need cleaning out.Make sure all of the fans are running.
If you have two sticks of ram remove one and see if it will work if not remove that one and put the other one in and try that.

birdface 09:49 24 Dec 09

Could it be the battery needing replaced.

zarjazz 10:03 24 Dec 09

Buteman

Thanks. It has had a thorough clean out.

I will try the memory sticks.

Did you mean changing the CMOS battery? The clock in the BIOS shows the correct time. Would that indicate that the battery is OK?

Terry Brown 10:05 24 Dec 09

Do you have an old Floppy boot disk (any version will do-- win98 or ME.

Unplug you hard drives, put the Floppy in the drive and see if you get a boot up - to a DOS screen.

If you do, you monitor, processor and Motherboard are proberly OK

While in this setup, put in a memtest floppy (ref Sunnystaines), and run this for a few hours, this will check your memory.

If you can obtain a copy of XP, try re-installing it, if this fails--

That leaves your hard drives, can you put your harddrive in another machine to test it, as this is possibly the problem.

If you cannot boot to Dos (Stage 1), you have a problem with one of your hardware (Memory-CPU- Motherboard) components, and you my be better of getting either a new base unit, Motherboard bundle or Computer
Terry

zarjazz 10:12 24 Dec 09

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately the computer does not have a floppy drive.

I will try Buteman's suggestions, then I'll try to get hold of a XP disc, and will also take the HDD out and see if it will work in another machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…