Computer crashing

Al94 23:11 19 Aug 05

Trying to sort out wife's PC which has run faultlessly for 18 months, today it suddenly started to reboot without warning then recovered from serious error message. Tonight, wont start windows properly, two messages on screen wlancfg4 error and mhotkey.exe, abnormal program termination. There is no start menu and only about half of the desktop icons, none of which activate anything. Windows XP SP2, Avast anti virus, spybot, adaware, A2 and spyware blaster installed. I have managed to boot into safe mode and am running Avast, A2 etc,at the moment - any other suggestions?

hugh-265156 23:29 19 Aug 05

do you have a wireless network?

if not it could be spyware. try running stinger click here are all your AV and anti spyware software up to date?

while in safe mode go to 'control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings' and untick 'automatically restart' windows will now display an error message that you can look up when it shuts down that may help instead of it just restarting.

Al94 23:34 19 Aug 05

I have a wireless network - all malware and antivirus up to date, currently running all scans - what are your thoughts on the wireless network (which I am using at the moment with my lappy)?

hugh-265156 01:09 20 Aug 05

sorry im not sure.

I just googled wlancfg4 and found some links relating it to some netgear products or spyware. click here= click here=

click here or click here= could be chicony keyboard software or spyware.

Al94 10:26 20 Aug 05

Running A2 in safe mode found 1 malware item, all now seems ok - Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now