Computer crashing

JoJoh 12:10 01 Jul 04

Hi - I have a Compaq Presario running Win 2000. This is continually "locking". I have replaced the power supply and this had made no difference.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? As an option,I tried to change the hard drive onto a Dell Machine but it did not run.

As a final alternative I could copy all of the programmes etc onto another machine. However, this machine where I would copy to runs win 98 whilst the other runs win 2000. Also I would need to use one of those Norton Ghost type copy programmes as the computer was set up by someone who is no longer around and it has special "switch" type programmes for running 2 printers in a retail shop.

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

JoJoH

stlucia 12:34 01 Jul 04

A bit more info would be useful -- how long does it run before it locks? what are you actually doing when it locks (on dial-up internet, printing, scanning)? Is there a message on the screen when it does so? Does Ctrl-Alt-Del do anything when it's locked?

JoJoh 12:58 01 Jul 04

Hi Stlucia

When it "locks" we can't use anthing,keyboard mouse etc. It locks at all different times.

Regards,

JoJoH

stlucia 13:20 01 Jul 04

Does the screen go blank when it locks, or does whatever was displaying at the time just freeze?

So far as transferring your HDD to another PC is concerned, that should be okay so far as data is concerned, but you would probably have to install any software you need to read/manipulate the data onto the other machine from scratch if its not already installed there (i.e. using installation disks), because of its different operating system. I don't think that Norton Ghost or anything similar would help with this.

wee eddie 20:57 01 Jul 04

of all those files you value

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…