Computer crashes for no reason please help

danny0001uk 15:44 06 Oct 03

my computer freezes and random intervels whether im connected to the internet or not. its not a virus as i have scanned my drives using the latest antivisrus software. i though it was a memory issue so i incresed the virtual memory to 4000mb and it still crashes .

any help\suggestions appriciated

THanks
Danny

Sys win xp pro
256 mn Ram
1ghz P3
20 GB HD

AndySD 15:56 06 Oct 03

Try running memtest to see if it a RAM problem.

Also do you have the full version of XP on cd or Reastore Disks.

danny0001uk 16:02 06 Oct 03

i have the full version of windows xp on cd

AndySD 16:05 06 Oct 03

Good then try running the system file checker.

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

plankton 16:25 06 Oct 03

Does it crash after it freezes, or just freeze. If its freezing there could be something running in the background stealing all the resources. Try ctl+alt+del and see if anything is shown up.(This doesnt always show, but its a starting point)

canard 17:39 06 Oct 03

Think back to when this started and try to remember changes you made or apps you installed that might have upset your PC's delicate ecosystem. If any you could try reversing change/uninstalling one by one to see which is causing the trouble. My PC similar after grandson downloaded a stack of DVD grabbers for clippings.
Removed everything after he returned to education and PC now a model of decorum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…