Computer Crashes

Sorted 19:50 09 Jan 05

Everytime I play a game on the computer it crashes - I am running windows xp home with Norton Internet Security 2004 - I do not get an error message but when the PC recovers it suggests a problem with a device driver but System hardware devices does not show a problem?

I have a suspicion that it may be something to do with PC Anywhere virtual driver - can anyone help on this?

PS- my graphics card is NVidia GeForce Ti4200.

Gongoozler 20:12 09 Jan 05

I don't have any real experience of pc gaming, but from following this forum for a few years I think most cases of computers crashing in games are due to graphics drivers. Some configurations even work better on driver versions before the latest.

jorel 20:27 09 Jan 05

This may be just a 'shot-in-the-dark' - but I had the same problem a while back, computer crashing on games. Checked drivers, graphics card, the works. I finally had my computer checked and it turned out to be dodgy RAM causing the problem; it was ok in 'normal' use but it couldn't cope with running commands from the processor and game intensive graphics at the same time. I put new RAM in and the prob was cured.

gudgulf 20:50 09 Jan 05

I suspect that Gongoozler is right ---first thing to do is update graphics drivers.However having been the victim of failed ram in the past it might be wise to do two things...First take the memory sticks out and put them back in again as slightly unseated memory will cause all manner of problems.Secondly download and run memtest click here ,run it for a few hours or preferrably overnight to check for any bad ram.

Other than that you could try disabling as many programs as possible that run in the background and then reenable them one by one to see which is causing the problem.

Sorted 23:02 09 Jan 05

Cheers - as it happens I have upgraded the RAM to this could be the problem - will try your suggestions

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…