Computer Crashed after Install MS AntiSpyware

buddiebuoy 18:01 03 Oct 05

I have just installed the above this morning and my machine has crashed three times> Is there any known problems with this software.
I am running XP Home SP2, AVG Version 7.0, XP Firewall. I have Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-aware SE Personal installed, but neither have been active at the time of crash.

Jackcoms 18:54 03 Oct 05

MS AntiSpyware is still in beta.

As with any other Beta you pays your money (as it were) and takes your choice.

Having said that, I and many, many other members of these Forums use it without problem.

buddiebuoy 19:18 03 Oct 05

Sorry, I'm not sure what 'beta' means except for beta testing. Could you explain please?

bremner 19:20 03 Oct 05

This is not a full production version - it is still in development.

I have installed MSAS on tens of machines and have never had an issue with it. Are you sure this is what is causing the crash.

What error messages do you get?

woodchip 19:21 03 Oct 05

I had this on my XP desktop. I have never loaded it since

buddiebuoy 19:25 03 Oct 05

No, I'm not sure that's what caused the crash. It's the only thing I've installed recently (this morning)and the computer was fine up until then.
I got the blue screen up with:-

and then the blurb about newly installed hardware or software start in safe mode etc;

VoG II 20:07 03 Oct 05

click here and scroll down.

buddiebuoy 20:22 03 Oct 05

Thanks VoG, that gives a Windows 2000 - will XP be similar?

GaT7 20:50 03 Oct 05

buddiebuoy, did you try uninstalling MS Antispyware to see if you still get the BSOD error?

[BSOD = Blue Screen of Death]

woodchip, didn't one of the MSAS version update installs make you lose a partition or similar? G

buddiebuoy 22:32 03 Oct 05

no not yet. I'm waiting for it again to get the full error message as the computer restarts when its about 5 seconds into the memory dump.

VoG II 22:35 03 Oct 05

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under
System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…