computer crash when loading new programmes

billybrom 15:10 17 Jan 03
  billybrom 15:10 17 Jan 03

I have windows 98 and go-back facility. Everytime I load a new programme it crashes on restarting the computer and will only restart using go-back to the settings of the previous day and so the new programme is lost. Any ideas how to fix it?
Also, disk defrgmenter will start but will not finish/seems to get stuck which may be part of the same problem.The system never boots up successfully unless go-back is used to reinstate previous day's settings. HELP!

Gongoozler 16:33 17 Jan 03

billybrom, is it always the same program that causes the crash? If it is, then perhaps that program is corrupted or incompatible with your installation.

billybrom 19:42 17 Jan 03

The system crashes every time on booting up unless go-back is used regardless of whether it is a new programme loaded or simply restarting after a shut down.

Gongoozler 20:36 17 Jan 03

billybrom, I'm only guessing here, but I suspect that something is loading at startup that is causing Windows to be corrupted for the next reboot. If you can boot into safe mode, then shut down and reboot, then this would support this theory. If this does work, then if you disable any possible culprits in msconfig-startup you may be able to find which program is guilty.

acfc 20:43 17 Jan 03

Need some more info ~ what message are you getting when the system crashes? What had changed when the problem started?

As gongoozler says it could be a software conflict, but it could also be dodgy RAM or a driver problem

billybrom 20:50 17 Jan 03

How do you boot into safe mode to try to solve the problem?

billybrom 21:04 17 Jan 03

To acfc: eveything was OK until booting up to find thatit would not un less go- back was used to the previous day. The fatal error message was complex but fatal!!!!

acfc 08:55 18 Jan 03

Have you looked at the programs starting in msconfig (start/run/ type 'msconfig' then enter)?

Under the tab for 'start up' disable programs one at a time and restart. If the problem disappears you'll know which program is at fault! Don't worry if you disable something you need you can just tick the box to re-instate it.

Let us know how you get on.

AMD 4 ever 09:09 18 Jan 03

Boot a boot disk into the a: they when prompted type scanreg /fix
this will repair the registry if it is corrupt.

AMD 4 ever 09:11 18 Jan 03

have you sorted it then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…