Computer Crash

kingussie 12:44 29 Oct 06

After uninstalling spyware detectors as per the earlier thread here, I have suffered a total failure of my Sony Vaio notebook. It will not open in safe mode saying OS could not be found. For a while it would try to open in the last known good operating mode but now craters after a while and I get the blank screen. There was no recovery disc with machine which was bought in States. OS is windows XPhome any ideas please.
Using my Office PC for this thread
HELP

kingussie 12:58 29 Oct 06

sorry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:01 29 Oct 06

Remove refit hard drive could be bad connection.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

gudgulf 13:04 29 Oct 06

Could you post a link to the earlier thread or post the full details ot what you removed and why once more?

kingussie 13:06 29 Oct 06

Thanks for that. I do not have the repair CD mentioned and clicked on your link but am unable to get my sony running at all and am using my office pc to type this ...will have to leave now back tomorrow AM thanks all any help please leave here

kingussie 13:08 29 Oct 06

spyware doctor

kingussie 09:40 30 Oct 06

Not sure how to post a link from one to the other and have closed the other link so as not to have two running together

VoG II 09:43 30 Oct 06

Previous thread click here

anskyber 09:47 30 Oct 06
  kingussie 10:57 30 Oct 06

Have tried contacting SONY Help but am been driven mad because I purchased the thing in States and brought it here neither UK nor USA recognises my serial number and UK tells me to go to Sony Usa and Usa tells me the reverse. Is Sony the most unhelpful site going. The phone help is worse than useless.
Can I get a Windows 2000xp home recovery disc from anywhere ordoes it have to be Sony and why do they not give you a recovery disc with the bbb machine instead of reliance on built in recovery

birdface 11:16 30 Oct 06

Try this, click here You might get some help on there. Or type into address bat,Sony Notebook Forums,And you will get some more,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now