Computer Crash

rossol 18:22 06 Aug 05

Laptop crashing XP Home SP2 ,just stopping and going off can be started again but could crash after windows comes on or 2 days later
In event viewer i get error 7000 message bt voyager adsl modem loader . Server failed to start due to the following error
the service cannot be started either disabled or because it has no enable devices associated with it.
before error i am getting log event
(1)event log started ......event id 6005
(2)Microsoft(r)windows(r)5.01.2600
Service pack 2 uniprocessor free ...event id 6009

the laptop was not connected to the internet and no telephone wire
Any body clever enough to help with this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 06 Aug 05

A: Repair XP by replacing corrupt files

Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

If that doesn't work then --

B: Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

rossol 18:44 06 Aug 05

thanks fruit bat for being so quick will try your advice and come back later it for another machine and will have to set it up cheers

rossol 18:56 09 Aug 05

i was told to try taken bt voyager and modem off as it could have a corrupt file on then re install them, i took then off but it still crashed no errors in event viewer?
try sfc /scanow got a small way then crashed
then loaded the xh home (backup and recovery )disk ,change in the bios to cd-rom was 3/4 way through formatting and crashedthen when try again it was asking me to re start using ctrl/alt/del as the NTLDR WAS MISSING???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 09 Aug 05

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

rossol 17:51 10 Aug 05

XP cd is only a recovery disk supplyed with the laptop lets me go to bios ,then comes up with NTLDR is missing press ctrl/alt/del will not let me repair even if i keep my finger on the r key

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 10 Aug 05

there should be a i386 folder on your hard drive.

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

If you have NTFS then download a copy of NTFS reader from click here (bootable disk image) and use that to copy NTLDR

rossol 14:43 11 Aug 05

fruit bat its a lap top no floopy disc and can not access hard drive just bios i think i am ******

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 11 Aug 05

click here and scroll down to Bootable CD this will give you and image file to burn to CD

You can then use this to copy over NTLDR.

rossol 17:49 12 Aug 05

CHEERS that was a good site did that now formatting no probs thank again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now