computer continually rebooting just after logon

consultik 22:49 03 Oct 06

Just got home after a few days away and switched my main computer on and it automatically reboots just after I have logged onto my account (its done this now several times in a row. As far as I'm aware it had no problems before I went away. Tried starting it up in safe mode, but it just stopped after a long list of drivers (but didn't reboot), so tried starting it up with "automatic restart on system crash disabled" (another F8 option) and got a blue screen with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to computer. Then a load of blurb then "Technical information"

*** Stop: (0x0000007F , 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Computer hasn't had any new hardware or software added recently (in last 1-2 mths)

Its an Athlon XP 2700+ 1.5 GB of memory running Windows XP Home

Does anyone have any ideas of where I should be looking first?

johnnyrocker 23:32 03 Oct 06

you can either click here= or try start/run sfc /scannow and have your xp disk ready to copy /replace any corrupt missing files.

johnny.

consultik 23:55 03 Oct 06

Thanks for that, looks like I probably need to try testing the hardware first (one of the items in your link reckons thats the most likely issue), so I'll start on that tomorrow morning and see where it gets me.

johnnyrocker 00:00 04 Oct 06

i wish you well

johnny.

WhiteTruckMan 00:16 04 Oct 06

try last known good configeration. Long shot, but worth a try.

WTM

consultik 14:07 07 Oct 06

Well I'm totally confused now!

Tried last known configuration, but no change

Tried swapping the memory modules out (all combinations of the three in there) but no change.

Noticed that if I logged on as another user that I didn't crash immediately after logon, but system was still unstable and crashed after 20mins (not when anything in particular was happening) [the only reason I could think of for this was that my kids don't have as much stuff loading up immediately after logon as i do, in particular no wall paper]

Used this to go back to restore point from a couple of weeks ago but no effect.

Swapped out graphics card with one from another computer and thought I'd cured the problem. (was able to use computer for several hrs) Swapped graphics card back to check if it was just good luck and got same crashes, swapped back to replacement and now I've got the same problems as before [the graphics card that I took out (original) seems to be working fine in the other computer.

Still have same issue with logging on as me (immediate death) or as one of the kids when I normally get a little grey box after a few mins saying system has recovered from fatal error [BCCode 7f if that means anything], but continues to work on closing box. It then crashes as on my login a couple of hrs later.

Latest time this happened all my access to network had gone and I had to disable network bridge etc and re-enable to get connectivity back (never had to do this before)

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:55 07 Oct 06

Try updating / uninstall and reinstall drivers

a corrupt driver can cause this type of problem.

consultik 12:47 08 Oct 06

Tried re-installing driver for graphics card, but no effect (pc only gives me about 5 minutes now even on other accounts before shutting down, but this didn't happen directly after changing so I don't think its connected)

Is there an easy way to delete and change all drivers?

BTW ran sfc /scannow, but to no effect

Jak_1 13:04 08 Oct 06

If the worst comes to the worst then make sure you have everything backed up and do a clean install. If it keeps happening after a clean install then clearly there is a faulty component, possibly your PSU.

consultik 13:50 08 Oct 06

Is it worth trying to replace the psu before i try a clean install (I actually have a spare in a box somewhere!)

consultik 18:44 08 Oct 06

psu replaced , still got the problem :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5