Computer constantly restarts

Naz62 00:33 03 Nov 05

My laptop is always restarting when I do a virus scan/registry cleaner scan/ad-aware scan. I use the latest version of Mcafee. Why is this? Can anyone help?

Splork 09:48 03 Nov 05

Start Menu/Run , type `chkdsk /r`. Assuming you are running win2k or XP

Naz62 22:14 03 Nov 05

I'm using XP. What does this do? I have tried it and a black screen appears and scans my computer, after scanning it closes straight away.

Splork 23:08 03 Nov 05

It checks your hard drive for errors. If it found nothing, the drive is fine. Does the PC restart at roughly or exactly the same `place` in the scan - can you watch closely and see which folder is being scanned when the crash occurs?

Splork 23:12 03 Nov 05

Select Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, uncheck the "Automatically Restart" box.
If you have your XP CD handy, go to Start Menu/Run, type `sfc /scannow` and the PC will check for damaged system files.

keith-236785 20:02 07 Nov 05

Could be the blaster virus is on your pc, it might be stopping all software running that might trace it and help you to remove it.

i have found that an online scan from Housecall will run and detect the blaster virus. click here
it will need to download and install a activex package to your pc which you should allow (if you dont then it wont work, it is totally safe)

then do a full scan to check your system.

if you cant get that to work then maybe your settings for power management on the laptop are set wrong (your laptop is going to hibernate/sleep while trying to do a virus scan) etc...

if you do find the blaster virus, goto symantecs web site and search for the fix for the blaster virus. (fixblast i think it was called)

Naz62 00:41 17 Nov 05

I've tried all of the postings listed above and still cant find a solution. My computer still restarts when checking for viruses/adware etc.

Skyver 01:45 17 Nov 05

Are the scans you mentioned all part of Mcafee? If so, re-install Mcafee. Or try to do a scan in safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…