Computer to computer network.

jcks007 15:58 12 Oct 07

i can't do this for some reason, and i have tried all day.
i have a desktop pc which has a speedtouch router connected by an ethernett cable which i use for the interent.
using xp
i have a laptop on xp with a built in wireless centrino thing.

i also have a belkin wireless dongle for usb which i can use on the main pc if required.
all i want is to be able to print and use some of the files on the main pc via the lap top. using the interent on the laptop would be a bonus, i understand i am supposed to be able to do this, but using all the tools windows have (the wizards) nothing seems to be working.
could someone point me in the right direction using lamens terms and very simple instructions how i can get my laptop to connect to my pc wirelessly so i can print and share files?
I know this is probably really easy for some, but i have run out of ideas.

The Brigadier 17:08 12 Oct 07

Try using a crossover cable to connect them directly together using both pc's network cards.

mgmcc 19:24 12 Oct 07

As you have a "Router", both computers should connect directly to the router for Internet access and for File/Printer sharing. The connections can be either "wired" ethernet or "wireless" but, once they both have a connection to the router, they are "networked" and you can share Folders & Printers.

It is normally necessary to configure a router for "wireless" connections and this should be done by connecting a PC to it with an ethernet cable and typing its IP address into a web browser to open its configuration pages.

Once configured, run the Laptop's wireless software to scan for Available Wireless Networks, select the one which matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted for any WEP/WPA encryption key and, once connected should have Internet and Local Area Network Access.

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder should be set as "shared" in each PC and both PCs should be in the same Workgroup.

Ensure any third-party firewall software such as Zone Alarm is configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a trusted area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…