COMPUTER TO COMPUTER LINK

novis 10:52 11 Jan 07

How do I connect a laptop and a PC together - and does it matter that PC is running Windows XP and the laptop Win 98?

What sort of connector do I use - do I need software or is in preinstalled with Windows XP?

Thanks

Technotiger 11:11 11 Jan 07

Hi, ideally via wireless. You would need a PCI Ethernet card in the desktop pc, connected by wire to a modem router, and a Wireless LAN Cardbus PC Card slotted into your laptop (though your laptop might already have this built-in:- though probably unlikely if it only has Win 98).

novis 11:18 11 Jan 07

I'm definitely going to need a connector - is there a double male USB 2 connector available?

Technotiger 11:20 11 Jan 07

I assume you mean a usb hub - several to choose from here ..

click here

main identity 11:21 11 Jan 07

in other word if you have two ethernet ports one in each machine you will need one of these.

[img]click here[/img]

Technotiger 11:22 11 Jan 07

ps - but you dont need usb to connect items I have described above. The necessary cable is supplied with the modem/router, it is called an Ethernet cable.

Chris the Ancient 11:23 11 Jan 07

If both computers have an ethernet port (working), you can do it with a standard rj45 CROSS-OVER cable connecting the two machines and then run the network setup wizard from the XP machine.

Chris the Ancient 11:24 11 Jan 07

...do you all get your answers in quicker than me? ;o))

Technotiger 11:25 11 Jan 07

pps - in my described setup, one ethernet cable connects modem/router to pci ethernet card in pc. Laptop is connected Wirelessly via Router, to LAN card slotted into laptop.

novis 11:31 11 Jan 07

Little did I realise that it would all be (sound?) so complicated. All I want to do is copy over files from one to the other not set up a network. I'm not quite at the level of knowing what an ethernet connector is (I asssume it's a £10 word for 'wireless').

Yes a CD transfer would eb simpler but there are reasons I'm having problems with that.

Maybe there isnt a simple answer.

Gongoozler 11:31 11 Jan 07

novis, wired connection via ethernet cable is by far the cheapest, and if both computers are equipped with ethernet, sometimes referred to as 10/100 LAN, then all you ned is the crossover cable referred to earlier. Wireless is much more convenient, but also much more expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…