Computer to computer copy

Splodge 11:07 03 Dec 11

I have 2 Windows 7 computers, both of the same spec but different makers.

Each one has similar Windows 7 installed but, obviously different keys!

Now, if I had a second drive, on the same computer, whatever the content, I could overwrite it and, changing the master, it would work.

What I would like to do is use an external drive and copy across the whole contents of my more up-to-date computer's contents, replacing the completely the secondary Windows 7 which, in any case I only use as an emergency backup for my documents.

The thing is, the secondary is virtually unusable as a main computer because, due to overheating problems the hard drive has been replaced four times. As a reserve, however it gives me immediate access to the internet in an emergency.

Responses please from anyone who has tried that or has knowledge!

Thank you.

retep888™ 14:10 03 Dec 11

NAS storage?

click here

Splodge 15:23 03 Dec 11

Sorry,

you miss the question's meaning!

I want to clone one computer's operating system and everything else onto the second computer of a different make to make an exact copy.

Acronis offer the ability via their Acronis Home 2011 plus but there are lots of complaints about its' affectiveness!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 03 Dec 11

second computer of a different make

won't boot if you put it in the first PC as the drivers will be different.

Splodge 15:35 03 Dec 11

er, yes Fruitbat, it can. Go to the Acronis web-site!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 03 Dec 11

"there are lots of complaints about its' affectiveness!"

hastelloy 16:07 03 Dec 11

I've used Acronis for many years without a single problem. However, *Fruit Bat /\0/* is correct - whilst you can clone the HDD of your second PC, this will not work on your first PC because the motherboard drivers will be different.

Splodge 16:08 03 Dec 11

yes, I have e-mailed Acronis:

reply was;

I am out of office on annual leave until 12 December. If you have any urgent enquiries, please contact Béné[email protected]

will try again tomorrow.

Incidentally I have separate backup external drives for my computers so I should only lose time!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Driverless cars in the UK - The story so far: How Google and the UK Government are testing self-drin…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…