Computer to computer copy

Splodge 11:07 AM 03 Dec 11

I have 2 Windows 7 computers, both of the same spec but different makers.

Each one has similar Windows 7 installed but, obviously different keys!

Now, if I had a second drive, on the same computer, whatever the content, I could overwrite it and, changing the master, it would work.

What I would like to do is use an external drive and copy across the whole contents of my more up-to-date computer's contents, replacing the completely the secondary Windows 7 which, in any case I only use as an emergency backup for my documents.

The thing is, the secondary is virtually unusable as a main computer because, due to overheating problems the hard drive has been replaced four times. As a reserve, however it gives me immediate access to the internet in an emergency.

Responses please from anyone who has tried that or has knowledge!

Thank you.

retep888™ 14:10 PM 03 Dec 11

NAS storage?

click here

Splodge 15:23 PM 03 Dec 11

Sorry,

you miss the question's meaning!

I want to clone one computer's operating system and everything else onto the second computer of a different make to make an exact copy.

Acronis offer the ability via their Acronis Home 2011 plus but there are lots of complaints about its' affectiveness!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:29 PM 03 Dec 11

second computer of a different make

won't boot if you put it in the first PC as the drivers will be different.

Splodge 15:35 PM 03 Dec 11

er, yes Fruitbat, it can. Go to the Acronis web-site!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 PM 03 Dec 11

"there are lots of complaints about its' affectiveness!"

hastelloy 16:07 PM 03 Dec 11

I've used Acronis for many years without a single problem. However, *Fruit Bat /\0/* is correct - whilst you can clone the HDD of your second PC, this will not work on your first PC because the motherboard drivers will be different.

Splodge 16:08 PM 03 Dec 11

yes, I have e-mailed Acronis:

reply was;

I am out of office on annual leave until 12 December. If you have any urgent enquiries, please contact Béné[email protected]

will try again tomorrow.

Incidentally I have separate backup external drives for my computers so I should only lose time!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…