Computer Clock

Southernboy 22:41 31 Oct 06

Every year, each time I logon after the clocks go forward/back, I am accustomed (with both 98SE and XPSP2) to see a message displayed to the effect the time has been adjusted "for Daylight Saving Time". This is a reminder to me to check the accuracy of the time displayed. This year, for the first time, no such message appeared, although the time adjustment was made.

I have two computers, and the expected message failed to appear on both of them. One computer has never been connected to the internet, the other one is connected and all the Windows Updates have been installed.

Does anyone have any ideas why this message did not appear, as I have made no adjustment to either PC?

Strawballs 01:17 01 Nov 06

No and now you mention it I did not get it either

Enoch 06:53 01 Nov 06

Nor me, it just happened

wee eddie 09:06 01 Nov 06

MS probably feel that most of us are now sufficiently familiar with Windows to accept that it is capable of handling this task with bother.

10 years back there were a very high proportion of First Time PC owners about who needed to be told that such things were possible. Now most folk have, either grown up with them, or have had more than one PC in their life. They would be surprised if this was not done.

anskyber 11:52 01 Nov 06

I've never received the message, ever.

Strawballs 11:57 01 Nov 06

Thinking about it the last time was afew years ago when I still had win98se on 1 of my PC's.

VoG II 11:59 01 Nov 06

I don't recall ever getting this message in Windows XP. I did get the message last century, when I was using Windows 98.

anchor 10:35 02 Nov 06

I did not get the message either. I seem to recall that I have done in the past and, I believe, since installing XP.

Might have been one of those later updates that changed things.

Southernboy 12:37 02 Nov 06

As my main computer has never been connected to the net, and (as far as I can recall), it DID display the message last Spring, I don't see there is any way that MS could change things as they have no access to my PC.

I can only think they inserted something in the program to discontinue the message after a few times, but I cannot see the logic in this.

wee eddie 15:31 02 Nov 06

Did you install SP2 during the last year?

griffon 56 17:04 03 Nov 06

I still run Win 98SE, am connected to the net and I always get the message. The clock update message I mean, I nearly always don't get other messages!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009