Computer Chips were stolen

graham 14:37 21 Jan 03
  graham 14:37 21 Jan 03

It's a bit quite so I wondered why, not so long ago, offices were broken in to and computer chips were the targets to be stolen. I didn't know then and I still don't now, why? I mean, if you bought a computer, were there no chips already in? Did the bloke in the pub have a computer with no chips? I think we should be told.

AndySD 14:47 21 Jan 03

It was mostly the RAM that was stolen as it was very expensive at that time.

Djohn 14:57 21 Jan 03

As AndySD says, it was mainly for the memory chips as they were out of all proportion to the cost of anything else.

I think at one time the price was £100-00 per meg! CPU's were not far behind. J.

vinnyT 15:03 21 Jan 03

Like the other 2 say it was due to the cost, at that time crims could get more for ram or cpus than selling drugs.

graham 15:28 21 Jan 03

thought it must be for a good reason, now I know. I'll leave this open for a while so the young ones can see what went on!

BrianW 15:37 21 Jan 03

If you have been watching the news, there have been a spate of large scale chip robberies from secure storage at Heathrow airport. I think they are reported to be worth more than gold on a £/lb basis. (Sounds like the start of a joke about the novice robber who went into Harry Ramsdens ---?)

Lú-tzé 15:42 21 Jan 03

graham - just adding my bit to it. A few years ago a truck was held up in the Republic of Ireland which had left the Intel factory in Leixlip (Intel's largest manufacturing site outside do the US). It was then reported that the targeted CPUs were the most expensive commodity available - in terms of £s / gram ratio.

I don't know how much of this was journalistic licence (if such a phrase exists - the practice certainly does!) and how much was exact science, but certainly I remember a couple of years ago when we were told to budget one pound per megabyte for RAM.

At those prices it was worth while breaking into offices as RAM could easily be removed from PCs.

Having said all that, while I have been offered no end of CDs, car radios, video recorders, laptops etc., no one ever offered me RAM. Maybe I frequented the wrong pubs those days...

siouxah1 17:11 21 Jan 03

Oh dear,

I remember paying £276 for a 72pin 8Mb SIMM. That was in 1995 of course. Still have the receipt. It is good to see that delivery was free.

Theonewhowatchesoveryou 17:17 21 Jan 03

nothing worse than when a complete stranger nicks your chips!!. I remember paying over £100 for 4meg ram (not even sdram!!) when i had my 1st computer, £50 for a 1meg video card and about £200 for a cd-rom!!, mind you I had a real power machine then compared to my mates.

Diemmess 17:34 21 Jan 03

My first (Windows) computer was nearly £2000 from Compuadd - a 386SX (lite version) with 1Mb RAM....... I paid Technomatic £70 for another 1Mb chip...... There were 40Mb of HDD available for Windows 3.0 and Word 2.0........The underlying MSDOS was version 5.0

CompuAdd did at least include the appropriate floppys. "And I still had change from half a farthing"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…