Computer Centre bogus call?

collinsc 12:47 PM 20 Aug 11

Hi My parents have been getting calls from an indian call centre telling them they have a virus on their PC, and as they are affiliates of microsoft they will talk as through clearing the virus.

Sounded unlikely, so i told my parents to ignore it, i had an interesting conversation with the "call centre" when they happened to ring when i was there earlier and i asked what microsoft OS we were running and what our address was and they said "i dont understand what you are saying, speak to my supervisor" - then i hang up.

has anyone else had similar calls to this?

thanks

collinsc 12:48 PM 20 Aug 11

thanks

northumbria61 12:56 PM 20 Aug 11

There have been several Posts on here about these type of scams. Microsoft or anyone else associated with Microsoft would never ring you. They are nearly always from an Indian Call Centre or a person with an Indian Accent.

northumbria61 13:00 PM 20 Aug 11

If you type Microsoft Telephone Scams into the PC Advisor search box you will see several examples there.

ams4127 14:12 PM 20 Aug 11

I just ask why Microsoft would be phoning about Ubuntu.

Silence, and they hang up!

onthelimit1 18:02 PM 20 Aug 11

An example

link text

proudfoot 10:14 AM 21 Aug 11

When I get a cold call, I say "Oh hang on a minute there is someone at the door". I put the phone near the radio or TV and leave it there for 10 mins. or so. By that time they usually have got fed up and cleared the call.

collinsc 11:29 AM 21 Aug 11

thanks for responses. so, what are they actually trying to do? get money out of us for carrying out their instructions to "clear the virus"?!?!

Nontek 12:07 PM 21 Aug 11

In a word, Yes - plus they are probably looking for any bank details they can find for further robbery, or identity theft.

Nontek 12:10 PM 21 Aug 11

PS - and in any case - there is no virus to get rid of! Though after such a call, it is always advisable to run Virus and Anti-Malware scans.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…