Computer Case Replacement

caradoc 10:06 07 Mar 04

Need to upgrade my computer case as I am having problems with overheating of the CPU - have to leave the sides off!! Originally I had an AMD 800Mhz CPU but have upgraded the board to an MSI KT4V series and the CPU to AMD 2400XP. Case is rather limited on the inside.
Any recommendations for a mid range case without PSU.? (Present PSU is a 450 watt). Have thought about a full tower but would welcome any advice.

johnnyrocker 10:14 07 Mar 04

click here or pcworld.co.uk

johnny

Diodorus Siculus 10:14 07 Mar 04

click here for some nice one, designed 'specially for keeping cool.

hector 911 11:48 07 Mar 04

EBuyer, huge selection, of interest, what makes you think cpu is overheating,what is the temps you are getting, and are you overclocking, I take it you put on fresh thermal paste.

y_not 12:12 07 Mar 04

Also worth looking at the IDE cables - the ribbon type disrupt the airflow more than the round type.

Paranoid Android 13:16 07 Mar 04

You might find it cheaper to buy a case with a 300Watt PSU included, and swap it out. Ebuyer have loads at the moment.

Also, if you are using a 'stock' AMD cooler, a new heat sink might do the job better. I use one of these click here

I recommend PAPST or ZALMAN case fans to avoid the thing sounding like a hoover click here

Marvin

Stuartli 15:49 07 Mar 04

Scan has some great looking cases on its TodayOnly page this weekend from Chenbro at around £30 (choice of colours) - an 350W Enermax EG365AX-G-FMA II PSU with Manual Fan Control/Temp Control and two year warranty is £35 and a 480W Tagan TG480-U01 Whisper Quiet 21db (also supports 12v EPS/SATA/XEON) + 3 Years Warranty is £47.

click here

caradoc 17:36 07 Mar 04

Hector 911
Have MSI PCAlert configured and it has repeatedly shown a "warning" when I operate with case sides on. This particular case, is somewhat squat, and slightly smaller than average, and is now 6 year old!! Room inside is minimal for cables. Would hate to add a second HDD.

caradoc 17:40 07 Mar 04

Once again, many thanks to you all for taking the time to input on my query. I shall follow the leads presented and make the necessary "adjustments". Great to know you are all out there, on call if needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…