computer can't find new sata hdd

sgtdibble 15:06 16 Jul 08

I have just fitted a new sata hard drive to replace a failed ide one but the computer can't find it the asus mobo is fitted for sata have I got to change settings or should it find it automaticly

Pamy 15:09 16 Jul 08

Where are you looking for it?
And have you formated it/prepared it for use?

nosharpe 15:10 16 Jul 08

check that HDD is picked up in BIOS

sgtdibble 15:16 16 Jul 08

pamy I just fitted it and tried to reinstall windows
nosharpe how do I check that
thanks for your reponse

crosstrainer 15:23 16 Jul 08

Assuming that your PC boots normally at the moment:

Go to Control panel>Administrative tools> storage> disk management.

You should now see your new HDD as present, but unformatted. You can format it from here.

If you don't see the drive, please post back with more info. (operating system, etc.)

Pamy 15:26 16 Jul 08

Which windows are you trying to install? It is not likely to be seen untill the operating system is installed ie, Windows xxx

Pamy 15:28 16 Jul 08

crosstrainer. he has not got O/S installed

sgtdibble 15:29 16 Jul 08

crosstrainer it doesn't boot as the old HDD failed and this is a new replacement and has not been formatted. I thought the computer would prompt me to find the new drive

sgtdibble 15:31 16 Jul 08

i am trying to reinstall windows xp home which came with the computer

Pamy 15:37 16 Jul 08

Then put the disk into the drive and turn computer off. Now re start computer and look for "Press any key to boot from CD", you may have to change boot sequence in BIOS first so that CD is the first to boot

sgtdibble 15:39 16 Jul 08

I will try that let you know later if it works

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…