Computer cannot boot up, missing or corrupt file

Pamy 16:09 05 Sep 04

Hello everyone,

my computer will not boot up because it says there is a missing file or it is corrupt.

The error message says ... C:\Windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

Suggests install from XP Pro CD Rom but cannot do so because CD Rom Drive not found.

Can someone please send me this file or tell me where I can download it from?

As always gratefull for your help, Pamy

livewire 16:21 05 Sep 04

Have you attempt to change the boot sequence in the BIOS?

The BIOS or System Configuration Uttility can usually be accessed by pressing F2, F1 or DEL when booting. Once in the BIOS look for an option to chnage the boot sequence so that you can boot from CD ROM first instead of your Hard Disk.

Then you can use the Windows XP CD to attempt recovery of your system by following the on screen instructions.

powerless 16:27 05 Sep 04
  beeuuem 17:28 05 Sep 04

click here

C:\windows\system32\config\system File is Missing or Corrupt

When you try to start Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:

Windows could not start because the C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.

Additionally, Windows may not start.

To resolve this behavior, start the Windows XP Recovery Console, and then restore the C:\Windows\System32\Config\System file from the C:\Windows\Repair\System file. To do this, follow these steps:

1/ Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart
your computer.

2/ When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.

3/ Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.

4/ Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so, and then press ENTER.

Note If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5/ At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

CD C:\Windows\System32\Config

REN system system.oldCOPY

6/ Remove the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD.

7/ To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit, and then press ENTER.

During startup, Windows detects your computer hardware and then starts.
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Last Reviewed: 11/12/2003 (1.0)
Keywords: kbprb KB823614 kbAudEndUser

Pamy 23:22 05 Sep 04

Hello everyone,
thanks for replies. Bios recognises cd drive , but is not recognised when XP disc inserted, so cannot copy file to CD.
Cannot copy file as it is in use.
Nead to copy file to Floppy`s then install but cannot do so from my computer as file is in use.

pc moron 23:47 05 Sep 04

Have you looked in the BIOS and reset the boot order?

The computer won't boot from the CD drive unless the CD drive is first in the boot order in the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…