Computer broken power suppy?

SteveWH 01:01 04 Feb 07

Today my three and a half year old Evesham PC (Axis 3000+ A78NX MB) gave up the ghost. Last week it wouldn't start after a very short power outage (I have surge protection). I removed the power lead reconnected and it fired up again.

I backed up all my stuff onto an external HD and decided the time had come to invest in a new machine to take advantage of Vista this will (hopefully) be delivered next week.

The machine refused to start three more times until today when no matter what it is as dead as a doornail no lights on MB. I suspect the power supply has packed in??

My question: Will I be able to put my hard drive into my new Vista machine? It has XP Pro OS on it. It is a Sata 7200 rmp disk I think the same as in my new machine.

I want to wipe my bank and credit card details off before I take the machine in for repair probably at my local PC World. (I'm giving it to a friend)

I am typing this on my Apple Mini.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

SLAYER 06:32 04 Feb 07

Cheaper to repair yourself.Relatively simple procedure changing a psu,no problem putting your hdd on new machine to do what you want.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:45 04 Feb 07

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

SteveWH 14:41 04 Feb 07

Many thanks to you both especially for your help Fruit Bat I will have a go, the PSU is an ATX 360v
nothing ventured nothing gained if the lights go out in Cardiff you will know why!

SteveWH 21:18 04 Feb 07

Fruit Bat, I am typing this on my previously dead PC thanks to you.

I had thought fitting a PSU was beyond me but with the diagrams it went like a breeze. £26 rather than goodness knows what PC world would have charged.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac