Computer boots as normal but desktop not showing

jewely 22:12 01 Jul 03

I have a Pc running windows 98, when i turn on the computer it seems to boot as normal when I log in the screen stays blank, no icons from desktop are showing, so cannot go in to controls.
My mum has also rung me and she has a laptop running windows ME and she seems to have the same problem, co-incidence I am sure. We have not sent any dodgy e-mails so cannot be a virus,
we both have a virus checker any way.
Any advice much appreciated.

VoG II 22:17 01 Jul 03

click here - possibly?

IMAGEDKTR1 22:17 01 Jul 03

i,ll bet it is a virus
you say you are both having same symptoms and i,ll also bet you or your mom have e,mailed one another recently
you say you have an anti virus which one and is it upgraded regularly (like every week at the least)if not i suggest upgrading asap and then let it do its work.

VoG II 20:15 02 Jul 03

via e-mail

Laptop seems to boot up ok, when I click to
log on screen goes blank and mouse pointer stays on the screen. I cannot view desktop icons, or get to start button. In order to switch off I have to just turn the computer off. Scan disk will then run to check drive because of improper shutdown. It gets 90% of the way then that freezes. if I click end task all i see is advqserv. I can then shut down the laptop using shutdown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Details
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Advent notebook (laptop) running windows ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…