Computer Boot Up

Phate 08:08 31 Mar 04

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me.

I had to format my harddrive a week ago and reinstall Windows XP.

However, I seem to find that when the main power is switched off at night and then switched back on in the morning, the computer is extremely sluggish to boot up and seems to freeze before it even reaches the welcome screen.

Also, checkdisk starts running on some occasions and finds errors in $I30 and directory 9888.

Finally, the harddrive seems to be making a noise as if it is going on standby or shutting down, but nothing changes on the screen (usually before a system freeze).

I was advised by mastercare support to format my hard drive and then make a log of all new software installed as it may be software related, but the computer freezes after a power down no matter what software is installed after a format.

I would really appreciate some help on this; I think I may need a new harddrive (although it is less than one year old) but I would really appreciate any views on the matter,

Thanks in advance,

Phate

edstowe 08:17 31 Mar 04

As Mastercare are involved in this, get them more involved to sort out the mess they seem to have created. If your machine is under DSG warranty then making adjustments, alterations and replacements could very well void the agreement you have with them.

€d

Phate 10:02 31 Mar 04

I ran WinDLG Tool on the hard drive and it came up with the following error during quicktest:

SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 03 (Fatal or unknown error), Failure Checkpoint = 66 (Reserved File Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

What does this mean? - Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…