Computer behaving very oddly

VGC 21:49 04 May 04

When I try and run a search the search window appears but the interior of the window is a blank white space. The same happens when I open System Restore - The window appears with the program name at the top but the interior is a pure white sheet with nothing in it. Windows media player 9 won't open. A window opens saying ' An internal application error has occured '.I used Avast anti-virus which showed no problems. After this happened I uninstalled it and installed AVG. This picked up and deleted 3 viruses. Any tests I have run during the last 4 days have showed up clear. I also use ZA as my firewall. Can anyone please help?.

VoG II 21:51 04 May 04
  woodchip 21:52 04 May 04

If you are as I think you are running XP go to Run and type

sfc /scannow

press enter

VoG II 22:55 05 May 04

Thanks for your help.The re-register method could not find either of the files. I tried method 2 - the edit of the registry. I went to HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLSID .... Unfortunately that was as far as I got. There was no 'CLSID' file under 'SOFTWARE' so I could not go any further. The article you directed me to was uncanny in that all the symptoms it listed were exactly those that I experience. It looks as if I might have deleted the 2 relevant files.I don't know how to download them as I can't update from the windows website.I would really appreciate any further help you can give, regards Gavin.

================================

Much better to add a response to your own thread.

Try an over the top installation - back up anything really important before you do this but nothing (other than Windows) should be changed click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…