computer beeping from inside tower

cheerup347 00:27 17 Nov 08

Hi,

My computer has started beeping every so often as if it's warning me about something. the beep is coming from inside the tower itself and usually lasts around 3-4 seconds of several short beeps.

could this be a fan problem? I have the side off my tower to stop it overheating and I've cleaned all the dust out.

Could it be that I need another fan or something or is my computer being overworked?

Thanks

MCE2K5 01:06 17 Nov 08

Download this Progam 'PC Wizard 2008.1.87' from click here to check CPU Temp & Fan Speed.

Mine has just started Beeping, It's the CPU Fan Failing (On Mine that is).

Ex plorer 01:26 17 Nov 08

Hi dose this help its for Bios code Beeps.
click here

Technotiger 08:59 17 Nov 08

Wrong .... leaving the side off the tower has the opposite effect, making everything inside get hotter!

Technotiger 09:04 17 Nov 08

Instead of saying 'several short beeps' - count the beeps, the number of beeps is important, as you can see from Ex plorer's link.

Technotiger 09:05 17 Nov 08

It would also help to have a bit more info about your computer - what OS, etc ...

cheerup347 10:38 17 Nov 08

Hi,

will be pretty impossible to count them... they are extremely fast and close together (if that makes sense)

think I'll clean both the fans, check they're working when I switch it on, put the side on then leave it and see what happens. what temperature should the CPU be at?

it's a 2.8 Dual core processor

Thanks

Technotiger 11:29 17 Nov 08

CPU Temperature - round about 45.5C is normal.

Judging by your beeps, I would check all your PCI cards and connections. To be sure they are all well seated, take them out and re-seat them making sure of a good fit. Make sure all connections inside and outside the tower are fitting properly.

Stuartli 15:28 17 Nov 08

You can check out beep messages for your particular Bios manufacturer at:

click here

DieSse 22:57 17 Nov 08

If it's beeping during normal running, it's NOT the BIOS beep codes referred to above (these only occur during POST tests when booting.)

Beeps whilst running are almost certain to be a heat or fan related problem - or a Power Supply problem.

A heat/fan issue needn't be just the Processor - it may be from other heat sensors and fans.

A PSU problem is when the DC voltages from the PSU get out of tolerance - this may be due to a faulty PSU, or one that is too low a capacity for your system.

DieSse 22:59 17 Nov 08

Beeps can also be generated by system events - to prove that or not, turn of all system event beeps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…