Computer beeping and crashing on shutdown

The Belarussian Mafia 21:13 19 Feb 04

Anyone know what the beeping sound signifies? I'm running Win 98. On shutdown I got a frantic beeping noise from the computer, accompanied by a series of wierd black lines across the (frozen) "Windows is shutting down" screen. The beeping stopped when I did ctrl-alt-del, but I had to then hit the 'off' button.

anon1 21:45 19 Feb 04

The beeps could be any number of things, most likely a corupted sound file played during shutdown. Try removing sounds at shutdown in control panel also click here

Rennaissance 21:48 19 Feb 04

hang on this beeping coming from the tower? It wouldn't be a sound file then as it is the system speaker. How do the beeps go?

The Belarussian Mafia 22:33 19 Feb 04

Rennaissance - you're right, the sound comes from the CPU, not the speakers. It was a series of rapidly (continuously) repeated loud beeps.

(Thanks annon1, but in this case the speakers were switched off.)

anon1 11:13 20 Feb 04

I would suggest you follow my previous link to shutdown problems. A series of rapid beeps as you suggest could indicate that something is trying to run during shutdown a similar state can be recreated when the system hangs if you press keys repeatedly eg ctrl/alt/del. Try using ctrl alt del and close all programs that may be running. If it works then you will at least have a clue.

anon1 11:13 20 Feb 04

oops should have added after closing all programs then try the windows shutdown

The Belarussian Mafia 17:59 20 Feb 04

Thanks anon1. I haven't got time to look at the site you mentioned just now, but I'll have a good look in the next few days. Nice one. ???????.

greenlamp 00:41 21 Feb 04

Check that no keys are sticking down, I've had a very simular problem within the las week and the cause was the backspace key sticking down.

Giggle n' Bits 00:46 21 Feb 04

sounds like its overheating due to a fan failure.
Let machine go cold really cold like off for a few hours and it will run longer but if you reboot from warm your talking seconds.

The Belarussian Mafia 18:15 21 Feb 04

Thanks greenlamp - an unexpected suggestion. Maybe my keyboard is acting up, and if so there isn't much to worry about. (I'm not sure how to check this though.)
Valco - I can hear the fan churning away, so I presume it's OK. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…