Computer Beep error , overheating?

Fitz1400 14:05 15 Sep 06

Hi, I have had this a problem with my PC for a few months now

Fitz1400 14:12 15 Sep 06

Sorry press enter by mistake! The problem is that my PC( which is now 3 years old) sometimes makes long beeping noises. It usually happens on hot days, ands when it does beep all the programs slow down (usually during games). Ive had a look on the net and I think the problem is overheating. I downloaded a Speedfan monitor program to check the internal temperatures. Two of the temp monitors usually read about 50C and the other reads about 75C, i think this ones my graphics card. I installed a new graphics card a few months ago and someone told me that because it requires a plug in cable from PSU, it mite be causing beeping because my PSU is only 300w and I shud get a more powerful one,ie 500w. I really dont know what to do, any help will be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Andrew

Fitz1400 14:19 15 Sep 06

My computer specs from dxdiag;

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Language: English
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: PCV-RS222(CE)
Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 288MB used, 1729MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Card name: RADEON 9800 PRO

Stuartli 14:45 15 Sep 06

Check out the beep codes for your Bios from:

click here

It will indicate where the problem lies.

Gongoozler 15:01 15 Sep 06

75C is a very high temperature for any part of your computer, and is therefore quite likely to trigger an alarm signal. According to your "Getting Started" manual, your card does need a connection from the power supply click here, and I think it's very likely that this connection powers the graphics card fan.

DieSse 15:34 15 Sep 06

Beeping when running normally signals fan, heating, or voltage problems - it's not a BIOS POST code situation.

I do think your PSU is on the low side for what you are running - this may be making the PSU overheat, and the voltages it produces droop too low.

I suggest as a first step you should invest in a good quality 450-500W PSU - plenty of good ones here click here

When you've done that - review the situation to see if it's improved.

Fitz1400 15:36 15 Sep 06

thanks for your replies. I had a look on the bios website and I found this:

High frequency beeeps while running = Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

And the manual says that my card does need a power supply connection and requires 300w min power supply, which I already have.

Should I replace the CPU fan and get a 500w power supply? If so how where can I get the parts compatible with my PC? i had a look on ebuyer.com but there were so many different models of fans and PSU's i didnt know where to start! please help!

Fitz1400 15:47 15 Sep 06

Speeds and temps according to Speedfan program.

Fan 1: 1592RPM Temp 1 36C
Fan 2: 4821RPM Temp 2 74C
Fan 3: 1795RPM Temp 3 52C
HD0 40C

Are these normal? im very worried.

DieSse 15:57 15 Sep 06

The high temperature with the fast fan is very probably the processor. AMD processors do tend to run quite hot - 74º seems hot to me but others with the same processor would need to comment.

The fan certainly shouldn't be running any faster.

So - perhaps a better heat-sink is your best bet - you'll also find good heatsinks at click here

I use a Thermalright heatsink with a slow fan - but my processor will be running cooler than yours anyway - currently in an office at25º the processor is at 37º

I still also think you'll be better off with a beefier PSU - and don't stint the cash on a PSU or a CPU cooler - it's just not worth it.

Fitz1400 16:04 15 Sep 06

ok thankyou very much for your reply DieSse. I will have to buy a new PSU and new CPU heatsink/fan. I had a look on the website you suggested but theres so much choice, il have to be careful that the components I buy are compatible with my PC. thanks again!

Stuartli 16:06 15 Sep 06

The highest temperature (in the July heatwave) I've had with my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ is 69 degrees C - the Bios is set to shut it down at 70 degrees C.

AMD state 85 degrees C is the maximum permitted, but I wouldn't like to risk it.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…