Computer automatically dials ISP on start-up.

Axle 21:41 22 Feb 04

Recently my computer has started to dial my ISP everytime I switch it on i.e. without me clicking on the internet explorer icon. I am connected via a 56k modem to a pay per minute plan. Until very recently I surfed merrily along with no virus protection and never had any problems. On the advice of a friend I downloaded anti-viral and firewall software i.e. ProtectorPlus, ZoneAlarm and Adaware. Only then did my troubles begin and I don't know if they are related. ZoneAlarm notifies you that various applications on your computer are trying to access the internet and asks if they are allowed. I have never heard of some of the applications/programs trying to access and have never knowing installed them. Three in particular are 'WeatherCast', 'Save!' and most suspiciously of all 'process-590277'. The last of these applications appears to be located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely and would appreciate any advice in this matter.
When the computer automatically dials-up it does not connect to my ISP homepage. How can I find
what program is connecting.

Delltree C: 22:00 22 Feb 04

Try "process explorer" from this link, or one of the other utilities, or if you already have a file name type it into google and sort through what if finds. click here

Jester2K 22:05 22 Feb 04

'WeatherCast', 'Save" are both Adware.

Run Adaware click here and SpyBot click here. Update and scan

Paranoid Android 22:06 22 Feb 04

It could be something a simple as one of your applications checking for updates. Check the settings for your 'Zone Alarm enabled' applications, as well as for Zona Alarm itself.

Axle 22:29 22 Feb 04

Thanks for the advice, I'll work through it and hopefully get it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…