Compter Configs

baldyx 17:33 24 Feb 05

Please someone explain what's 'FSB' & L2 Cache (or just cache) and GHz,e.g 2.60GHz.

Presumably higher the values better the pc.

This should help me in deciding which home computer to buy for a budget of around £600 .

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:35 24 Feb 05

If you are not using the computer for serious gaming the choice of processor, HD speeds and caches will be of no importance. Post what you intend to use the computer for.

G

baldyx 18:12 24 Feb 05

I will be using the computer for Internet
,e-mail,send/receive files ,word.excell.

Also I use third party digital photography applications which on the current laptop(466Mhz,192 memory)takes hours to create cd/dvds!

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:23 24 Feb 05

You will need a 2.6Ghz processor and no more. The speed of creating CDs and DVDs is down to the actual speed of the writer so you might like to look at 16x DVD and 52x CD writing capabilities although 32x CD writing will be fine. You should be able tom buy an excellent Compaq, Advent or Emachine from PCW and have enough money left to buy an external HD which will be of more benefit than worrying about AMD or Intel processors. Post the addresses of a few computers that you have found for comment.

G

baldyx 20:11 27 Feb 05

I am thinking of buying Dell Dimension 3000 with P4 processor 2.80 Ghz & 512 mb dual channel memory & with internal 16x dvd+/- writer.
. Details are on click here.

There is also desktop with celeron processor but that may be slower than the Pentium 4 ? I am not sure about AMD processor pcs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…