comp.shutting down

aboutit 16:48 20 May 04

Help please comp keeps shutting down then restarting going alright for a few minutes then shutting down and restarting again. No spyware, no viruses done scan check done defrag. Also got a messsage on I.E. that it was closing. Getting error box Generic Host for Win 32 services S2 App name S2 App Version. S2 mod. I am running Windows XP and have done a full system restore

Djohn 17:01 20 May 04

It does sound like the "Blaster worm" or one of it's variants. Although you have done a virus scan, the virus is most likely still there in your sys. restore files as these are locked off to changes for obvious reasons.

Right click on "My Computer" Icon, choose properties/system restore tab and turn off system restore. Reboot your PC and scan again for virus, if any found remove these then enable your system restore again.

Make sure you have the latest patches from Microsoft and your anti-virus is up to date.

I will look for the link from Spike on how to stop your PC from closing down while you do the up-dates unless someone else has it to hand and can post. j.

Graham ® 17:04 20 May 04

You have to stop it re-starting to get an error message:

Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box. If the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly.

Clear the check box and see what comes up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…