Compression program

herc182 21:01 22 Nov 04

I know of winzip/ace/rar, but is there a seriously good program out there that will considerably compress files? i dont mind paying (although freeware welcome!).

i used the best setting the other day for a movie and it only shaved about 10-15 mb (cant quite remember, but i remember that i wasnt impressed).

thanks

Pesala 21:42 22 Nov 04

7-zip (920K) click here Best Compression Available

But the problem is the file type you're trying to compress. Movies such as MPG or graphics like JPG are already compressed very efficiently in most cases, so even the best zip program will not compress them any more. JPG compression rates can be very high.

This 371 Kbytes file click here was 109 Mbytes as a Tiff image. A lot of detail is lost, but it is still recognisable.

Look for compression options in your Movie software. I know from saving MP3 files that changing the bitrate can reduce the file size by half without too much loss of quality.

TomJerry 21:53 22 Nov 04

is loss quality by lowering bitrate and resolution. But whay you want to do this?

A better solution is to get a big fat hard driver which is price reasonably now.

herc182 22:17 22 Nov 04

yeah. thats the main reason why i want to compress the files. i think i will dust the cobwebs off my wallet and buyt a hard drive. have been toying with the idea for a while now

click here

will bite the bullet. in the long run, i will constantly need to buy more cds and cd wallets etc....

thanks. will have a look at that compression tool anyway.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…