Compressing files...Advice needed

Skeletor 11:41 04 Jan 05

Does anyone out there compress files/folders to save disk space as a matter of routine.

I've suddenly found that I don't have as much hard disk space as I'd thought (downloaded loads of photo's, installed SP2 etc.). There's not even enough space to defrag. I've never bothered with compressing files before, so before I make any decisions about buying a larger hard drive or resizing partitions or just deleting a load of stuff, can anyone advise on what compression to use. Is there a downside? And can it be used on all file types?

I did a quick experiment with a duplicated folder using WinZip which seemed to work OK. The zipped file was about 2/3 the size of the original, would that be the case for all file types? Most of the stuff on my PC are photo's, downloaded programes and general bit 'n' bobs.

Win XP Home

Cheers

Steve

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:50 04 Jan 05

In short term you could use trial of click here
to compress your photo's to create some space.

megat193 11:55 04 Jan 05

I use the XP Pro disk compression on an external USB drive, and have had no problems. The exact set-up is actually an old 40GB IDE drive in a USB 2.0 caddy. I store DVD ISO files (4.5Gb each) on it, and temporarily copy them to my HDD when I want to burn a DVD. The process works fine, and I have had no glitches.

TomJerry 12:06 04 Jan 05

photo files (in jpeg) cannot be compressed without loss quality

the best option would be get a new HDD because they are not expensive

Skeletor 13:13 04 Jan 05

Thanks all,

I think a new HDD is going on my shopping list sooner than expected.
Maintaining Photo quality is important so it seems compression is out of the question, although I'm a little surprised that WinZip can't manage it without loss of quality.

Incidently I use Acronis True Image to back up my C Drive, and that uses compression, so does that mean I'm losing quality in my JPegs?

Cheers

TomJerry 14:06 04 Jan 05

by winzip or imaging program, so do not worry about this because winzip and True image use lossless compression method.

Have you tried to use winzip to compress jpeg? You will find it does nothing in term of size.

compression alread done in jpeg, so winzip cannot compress it. If you want reduce jpeg file size with qulity loss, you need to open it in a editing package (e.g. ifranview) and save it again in jpeg with bigger compression rati

Skeletor 15:46 04 Jan 05

Thanks TomJerry,

You're absolutely right, using WinZip on JPegs makes no difference in file size (just tried it).

New HDD it is then!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…