Compressing Files & Folders

whiskeyjjw 16:41 26 Oct 03

Point taken about compressing MP3 tracks to all those who answered. Thankx.
When compressing these files and folders this is the routine I'm going through: My Computer; Local Disk C; File; New; Compressed Folder. Then I go through the routine of moving the data. Question: Is this the Winzip8 (I have it installed) programme that is being used?
Secondly, in the Startup menus there are numerous programmes that I don't use, or very infrequently. Is it worth uninstalling them (they will still remain on the computer, won't they?) or is there any benefit in compressing them say, to several folders?
Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here, but as I said earlier, this compression bit is relatively new to me, and to get expert advice, this is the best place I know.
Thanx again guys.

VoG II 16:44 26 Oct 03

From your description you are using Windows XP own compression program, not WinZip.

If you uninstall programs it does just that, i.e. removes them from your 'puter.

DieSse 17:00 26 Oct 03

Why are you doing all this compressing, anyway. Are you short of disk space. If not - don't do it.

VoG II 17:08 26 Oct 03

Or if you are short of space, run Disk Cleanup. This will offer to compress old files. You'll find it in All programs/Accessories/System tools.

A_World_Maker 17:30 26 Oct 03

There used to be a 16 bit programme called 'Move', I used it a couple of times to move/copy whole programmes, including copies of relevant DLL's, registry entries etc.. to a removeable drive (LS120, yes I owned one of those), then simply uninstall the programme from Windows. If I then wanted it back... I used 'Move' to copy the whole thing back, including registery entries, DDL's etc... That might help you, assuming the company has followed the programme through to XP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac