compressing files

SylvesterMagic 13:00 01 Dec 03

I have lots of JPEGs that I want to send by email. I've downloaded 7-Zip and have used this to create a compressed folder.

Trouble is the compressed version seem to be pretty much as large as the original ones.

Am I doing something wrong?

alcudia 13:35 01 Dec 03

Nope. jpg's are already compressed when saved to disc, so zipping them has no effect. They are already as small as they can go.

You can open the files in an imager editor such as PaintShop Pro. If you resave them you will get an option to adjust compression, but quality will suffer if this is overdone.

pj123 14:28 01 Dec 03

Agree with alcudia. If I send pictures as email only for viewing on a PC Monitor then I use Paint Shop Pro and resave them as 72dpi images. If the person I send them to wants to print them I usually put them on a CD in the original format and post it.

soy 15:51 01 Dec 03

maybe you can upload your pictures onto the web and then just email the link to whoever you want to see them. They then can download the pictures themselves.

Yahoo photos: click here

Pesala 16:26 01 Dec 03

Here is the same image saved from Irfan View at different quality settings. A value of 50 is adequate for many photos. A setting of 20 may be good enough for web images.

Text and images with sharp contrast do not compress so well as photos of nature and people.

Quality75 (51K) click here

Quality50 (31K) click here

Quality30 (21K)click here

Quality20 (15K)click here

Quality10 (10K) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…