Compressing Drives

Gary1979 18:50 28 Jan 04

When I right click on my Hard Drive and look at the Properties, there is an option to 'Compress drive to save disk space'. As I like to keep my PC clean and running as fast as possible, I was wondering if this was recommended, and what actual effect it has on my system.

Cheers guys.

Gary

powerless 19:17 28 Jan 04

You'll save space, thats all.

If your hard drive is almost full, it will compress some of the contents onto a virtual host drive. Providing you don't fill all the space created, then the process is easily reversed.

Give it a go, it's quite exiting!

SEASHANTY 19:32 28 Jan 04

With the 80GB to 160GB HDD's common in modern PC's
cannot see much use for this.

Gary1979 20:01 28 Jan 04

Well it's a brand new PC and the Hard Drive capacity is 145 GB, with only 5 GB used at the moment, so I guess it's not worth worrying about at the moment.....!?

Any other tips and tricks for maintaining optimum performance, or should I just stop being lazy and browse some sites online?

Thanks guys

Gary

You're quite right, it would be of no benefit to you. But the old time 95 and 98 users with small capacity drives found it invaluable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…