Is 'Compress drive to save...' a good option?

buel 10:58 19 Jul 09

Hi, can someone please tell me is the option in 'properties' of 'my computer' 'Compress drive to save disk space' a good option? I have heard that it can slow down the pc?
Thank you in advance...

mooly 11:42 19 Jul 09

Arguments for and against like most things. Have heard it can actually speed applications up, as the (much faster) processor expands the compressed files rather than the (much slower) HDD reading "already expanded" and therefore larger files.
Try it and let us know how you get on :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:20 19 Jul 09

Again may or may not work - some people find after a compress the machine will not reboot with the error message NTDLR is compressed.

DieSse 17:12 19 Jul 09

"Compress drive to save disk space' a good option?"

Unless you are in dire need of saving some space, then leave it be.

If you do need space, the running Windows Disk Cleanup and choosing "Compress Old Files" will save some and not risk your system files - also it will clean out old detritus at the same time.

If you really are very short of disk space, then a new larger drive is the best option.

woodchip 18:03 19 Jul 09

No you are asking for trouble, I only used it once and it was a pain when I had problems with the os to remove it and repair os.

Best option is buy a extra drive and fit in PC

Pineman100 18:19 19 Jul 09

I have run a computer with drive compression activated in the past, without any problems. But it must be said that any data compression always carries some element of risk of corruption.

Bear in mind also that your disk access times will be a little extended, due to the need to compress and/or decompress every time.

cream. 18:40 19 Jul 09

If you want to get extra space, decrease the amount used in system restore. 1Gb is enough and windows takes nearly 5Gb for a 40Gb hard drive. So you could save 4Gb on a small drive and much more on a larger hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…