compress an audio "wav file"

Boy Zone 15:54 21 Oct 05

I have a "wav file" that I wish to send as an attachment. As it stands its 15Meg and I want to compress this. I have Sonic sound software that I could use, but I'm not too sure how to compress the file using this software.
Do you have any idea how to either compress this wav file using other s/w or with the software that I have.
PS I do have BB, but even so more than 6 meg can cause a problem
With thanks.

bremner 15:56 21 Oct 05

click here to convert from wav to mp3 or wma

splork 16:01 21 Oct 05

You could send the resulting file with click here Up to 100mb, stored for 7 days.

Boy Zone 16:18 21 Oct 05

Thanks Bremner, but having downloaded this s/w it tell sme that I must register and purchase.
Is there any free software out there?
This will be a "one off usage".

splork 16:19 21 Oct 05
  bremner 16:25 21 Oct 05

Sorry - it has always been free, didn't know they had started to charge.

splork 16:37 21 Oct 05

It's the mp3 encoder that's licensed, the rest is still free.

Boy Zone 16:39 21 Oct 05

Just a quick note while someone finds a solution to my problem,
How much can I compress a wav file, something that is say 10meg can I reduce this to 2 meg and still retain some degree of quality.
I don't want CD quality as its only a speech to listen to.

bremner 16:45 21 Oct 05

A 40MB wav will compress to a 4MB mp3 - on average

splork 16:45 21 Oct 05

If it's speech, you can drop to about 14khz 16 bit without affecting the quality (or about 80kbps if encoding with mp3). Filesize should be reduced around 75%

BRYNIT 17:26 21 Oct 05

If you have Nero wave editor this will conver to MP3 if not.

Download Audacity click here you will also need to download LAME MP3 encoder this convert wave to MP3 via audacity, both are free program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…